Unfortunately, in Shanghai, the leaves fall off of the tree before they change color, there is no American football, and our family is in the States. We have cool breezes, and we have some friends in town, but many of our friends are on the other side of the Earth. Our house has little warmth. It has stark, white walls, made of cement, and marble floors. I miss the coziness of our small, colorful home, and wood floors. I miss the smell of fresh, warm bread in our home, and having neighbors come over to share it with. I miss gingerbread lattes.
We are happy to learn that we can still have Thanksgiving dinner, but it will be at a hotel buffet, and it will only be the five of us. There will be no greetings with hugs and kisses, and although the food will be good, it will not be cooked by family. There will not be the sound of cousins playing, happy for the chance to be together, or catching up with long lost nieces and nephews. We will miss this day, and the lost time with our families.
There are some signs of Christmas in Shanghai. Occasionally, I will hear Christmas music at a store, or see decorations at the mall, but it is not like home. I think I would rather have the overwhelming decorations in October in America, than the few they have in Shanghai. I'm sure that it will begin to feel more like Christmas here, but it will not be enough.
We like Shanghai. We feel blessed to have this opportunity, and we will do our best to live this experience to its fullest. But, we had to give up some of the comforts of home to do it, and this season seems to be the hardest part.
We look forward to our trip back, and the comforts it provides us. Being with family, and seeing our friends again, will bring us great joy. It will be our most cherished gift this holiday season.
We are counting the days, and anxiously waiting. Expect bigger hugs than usual........we have missed you all so much!

No comments:
Post a Comment