Many have heard of the advantages of being on an overseas assignment. The obvious things are having a driver, housekeeper, paid for private schooling, a large house, inexpensive travel opportunities, exposure to a different culture, and of course, international experience for your career. These are the points that you focus on when you are about to move your family to the other side of the world. They are vague, but intriguing, and are really all you know, when you leave your home.
After being here a year, I can tell you that there is so much more to it than that. We don't just have a driver. We have Mr. Tao. Mr Tao is in his mid-forties, and has a wife and college-aged son. He was born and raised in Shanghai, and is the one of the kindest individuals I have ever met. He would do absolutely anything we asked him to. He is a very careful and cautious driver, and prides himself on never receiving a ticket, or causing an accident. Unfortunately, we were hit by another car last month, so I can no longer say he has never BEEN in an accident.
He is great with the kids. Carleigh and Mr. Tao have an especially close relationship. He loves her, and she him. He is protective of them, and always makes sure that they are safe. To us, he is not just our driver, but a good friend, that we can always count on. When Mr. Tao and I are in the car together, I teach him English, and he teaches me Chinese. We joke, chat, and play jokes on Bill. He is fun to be around, and we will miss him when our time here is over.
Our housekeeper, or AYI ("auntie"), is Yuan-Yuan. She in her mid-thirties, and has a husband in Shanghai, and a school-aged son and daughter, in Jiangxi province, where she was raised. They are cared for by her parents, and twice a year she goes back to visit. She is at our home from 9am to 5pm Monday thru Friday. She is also a very kind person, and valuable member of our household. She also, will do anything for us. I can leave for the whole day, and when I return everything will be done. She takes good care of us. She only speaks Chinese, so our chatting is limited, but the more we learn, the more we chat, and we can even joke around with her a bit. We have recently begun paying for her to receive English lessons. When she speaks English, I am very excited for her. I know that when we leave, she will continue on to another job, and if she speaks English, she will have more opportunities, and more pay. We want to take care of her, by helping her for the future.
Our Mandarin teacher, is Qing-Qing. She is in her mid-twenties and single. She was born and raised in northern China, close to Beijing. She is as cute as can be, and is someone that we sometimes go out on the town with. A few weeks ago, we went out with her, and some of her friends, to play badminton. I have also gone shopping with her, and we have taken her out to dinner several times. She is fun to hang around, and speaks enough English for us to socialize with, while her Chinese allows us to do things that we otherwise could not, due to our limited vocabulary. She is also a good teacher, and I am confident that when we leave here, I will speak Chinese very well. I hope we are able to keep in contact with her when our time in China is done.
Our children are not only exposed to another culture here, but MANY other cultures. We are surrounded by expats on a daily basis, from a number of countries. We not only have friends who are Chinese and American, but friends from Japan, Korea, India, Thailand, Germany, England, The Philippines, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Switzerland, Belgium, Canada and France. They attend an American school that is filled with children, and teachers, from these countries. Instead of the average fifth grade camp, the middle school students go on a one week trip within China each year. Last year, Ethan went to Xian to see the terra cotta soldiers, and this year he will go to Beijing. Next year, he will go to a site known more for its natural beauty, Guilin. They learn about American and Chinese culture in school, but they also learn about the cultures of their classmates.
Last summer we took a trip to Hong Kong, and saw things that we never would have imagined we would. Besides the commercial "Disney," we also went to Victoria Peak, which is such a historical site, and the bay, as well. Things I have read about it books. We are tentatively scheduled to go to Japan next month. We are hoping to be there during the cherry blossom period. Everything you ever see about Japan, seems to have a picture, or reference, to cherry blossoms. It is the "unofficial" flower, and very important to the people. We will visit Kyoto, and all its history of shoguns and temples, and then head to Tokyo for the Disney experience again. Hopefully, we will also visit an "anime" museum, as we see that part of Japan on our TVs every day. In May, we are hoping to take Brennan and Carleigh to Beijing and Xian, while Ethan is on his trip with the school. In the fall, we are thinking of a beach vacation. Maybe Thailand.
The common impression, is that while our husbands work hard on these assignments, the wives are enjoying the high life. I cannot disagree that we can have it easier here than at home, although there is usually more business travel, and late hours, involved in an expat job. We give up family time with dad, and spend more time alone with the kids. I volunteer at the school at least once a week, and take Chinese lessons three times a week. I am trying to learn all I can about China, and hope that I can use the experience and language to some benefit, in the future.
It is hard to imagine what we will take with us from this experience. The benefits will be innumerable and immeasurable, and ingrained deeply in who we are. For this, I am grateful.

No comments:
Post a Comment