Yesterday, I took a day trip with the Shanghai Expat Association, to the Beijing Opera Clothing Factory in Suzhou. It was rainy, so it was a great day to do something indoors, and I have always loved the intricate costumes that the Chinese wear for the opera.

of the opera industry in China, it comes with bragging rights.

It was a very small "factory," and contained rooms for each step of the process. Cutting and stamping fabric, assembling pieces, embroidery, hats, shoes, and jewelry. We were told by our tour guide that the average employee (there are only 70, at most) has been with the company for 36 years. Yes, I said "YEARS." It seems to be a job that is respected and prided by every employee, and with the size and popularity
We saw some absolutely beautiful pieces, with amazing embroidery. One piece that they were working on was a special order for a Hong Kong bride, and honestly, I would have loved to wear it, as goofy as I would have looked (it's just not the same on a westerner!) They told us that most of the pieces would last between 2 and 10 years with gentle use, and yet they
have constant work, giving you an idea of how big this sort of thing really is in Asia.
All of the employees were very kind, and I told a few (in Chinese) that the piece that they were working on was beautiful, and that they work hard. With this, I would receive the very typical giggle, with their hand over their mouth (In Asia, they don't show teeth while laughing; it is considered polite and humble to cover the mouth.) It is always funny to hear Chinese come out of someone like me, and along with the humility that they feel about their work, it almost always produces this reaction.
It was a fun trip, and because they know us westerners, they brought out some goods for sale at the end. I came home with two embroidered silk jackets, in case Bill and I ever feel the urge to take up opera!

No comments:
Post a Comment