Today was a BEAUTIFUL day in Shanghai. The sky was a brilliant blue, enhanced by the stark, white, fluffy clouds that floated here and there, and the crisp, green tree line. The usual summer humidity had decided to give us a break, and the wind was borderline cool. If I hadn't been sitting down outside a cafe on a busy street by the Huangpu River, I would have been able to convince myself that I was back in Michigan. Days like this bring a smile to my face and peace to my heart. I try not to let my life pass by without taking note of days like this. It doesn't matter where you are in the world......there is beauty everywhere.
The kids started school at the end of last week, and I have enjoyed the last few mornings sipping my coffee while reading a book or working on the computer. The quiet is nice after a very active summer. The coffee seems to taste better on days like this. I wait a little longer for that first cup, as I spend the first 45 minutes chasing the kids around. There are always lost items to be found, snacks to be packed and teeth to be brushed. By 6:50am my little girl is climbing on to a mammoth school bus, each step half her size, and then she's gone. She doesn't even look back. Her brothers follow suit. My coffee starts calling my name.
Today, I search for a "Trapper Keeper" type binder for Ethan. His other is on it's last legs. Mr Tao and I head to the nearest Staples, to no avail, it has closed. I have already sent the former to lunch so I head next door to the local western market. I peruse the isles and select some American food that is just under outrageously priced, and skip the higher options. I find cinnamon (Ethan will be happy), muffin mix, pancake mix, carmel syrup (great in coffee), hot cocoa with mini-marshmallows (Brennan's joy), baked beans, hot dogs, and buns. spagetti sauce and pasta (Carleigh's favorite.) For myself, a few People magazines. This store has a lunch cafe as well, so I purchase an order of beef fried rice and eat it outside while browsing one of the magazines. Hence, my beautiful day observations.
Mr. Tao returns, and we head to Carrefour, a grocery/department store much like Meijer or Super Walmart. It carries school supplies, but I am not optimistic. I am almost giddy when I arrive at the school supply section, as it has grown, just as it does in the US at this time of year. I have a renewed hope that I will find what Ethan needs. I fill the cart with a few basics, but I really don't need much, as the school provides most of the supplies. I head down the aisle that has paper and binders, but no....there is nothing even close to what we are used to. I walk away, only to return a few minutes later. Maybe I missed it...maybe they have just put them on the shelf....maybe they will magically appear. I take a few more runs around the section before I concede defeat. No matter, if I had found one, it most likely would have had a character plastered on the front. Mickey Mouse, Tweety, a bear of some sort (big in China), or "Ultraman" (whoever the heck that is).......not cool for middle school.
I venture back out to the car and head home. We pass countless taxis, old, tired VW's of all colors. The drivers protected by a thick plastic shield around the open side and back of their seat (no idea why.) We pass numerous Buick minivans, most silver with a tan interior, but occasionally you will see a dark blue one with a tan interior. The blue van owners are the lucky ones, they don't have to memorize the license plate number. These Buicks traverse the roads of Shanghai in large numbers, carting around expats of all nationalities.
The flowers are blooming in the median again, the wet towels have come off of the government road worker's heads. The new Shanghai Oriental Arts Center, gleams against the bright sky. A beautiful Chinese DVD plays softly on the car stereo.
A beautiful day in Shanghai.....

No comments:
Post a Comment