Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Am I being followed?

Now that we are in a comfortable routine, and the kids have started school again, I have been trying to get involved in our community here.

 As a part of that plan, I now help at Shanghai American School on Tuesdays. I ride the bus with the kids to the school, and start my day at about 7:45am, helping in Carleigh's PK4 class. From 8:30am to 12pm, I help in the library, then I eat lunch in the cafeteria. If it works out, I eat with one of my two children, who are not yet at the age to be embarrassed by this. 

Today, during my library time, a gentleman approached me in the hallway. He was wearing a shirt from one of the other international schools, and asked me where the "soccer day" location was. Today was the 3rd grade soccer day. In this event, the international schools compete against each other, in a full day soccer tournament. This year, it is being hosted by SAS. Tomorrow will be 4th grade soccer day. Brennan's turn.

I told him that I still get lost in the maze which is SAS, and then tried to figure out which side of the building he should exit to get to the fields. I started walking in the direction I thought it was in, more or less wandering. It is only one gentleman, he should understand if I take him on a wrong turn or two, until we find it, right?!   After I had taken about 20 steps, I turned around to look at him, and I noticed that a sea of yellow shirts was following me........the entire 3rd grade class of Concordia.  Apparently, they had not entered the school yet when he approached me by the front door, and he must have waved them on when I started walking. Good thing I noticed this before I led him, and his 100 or so students, through the library (it is frequently used as a thorough way to the elementary side of the school.) And kudos, on the quiet entrance that the students made into the school! Luckily, one of the other visiting teachers saw that the door ahead of us led out to the fields, and they were on their way. Phewww, that would have been embarrassing! I may have had some extra time on my hands next Tuesday.




No comments: