Hello to all!
This weekend is a holiday weekend. Tomb Sweeping Day, get out your brooms and find a good grave, it's time to honor the deceased here in China! I mean honestly, who doesn't deserve a clean tomb! I'm actually not sure what they do for the holiday, but it is to honor deceased relatives.
Bill and I are going to celebrate our wedding anniversary (early) on Saturday. We are going to go out to dinner, in a restaurant that is hopefully NOT kid friendly, and then attend a Chinese Opera. The Ayi is coming Saturday evening to make sure that WWIII does not break out amongst the children. Ethan will also be on duty with cell phone handy to report any emergencies or problems that can't be worked out with hand signals and an e-z chinese book.
The picture of the day is of Carleigh (obviously) and our driver Mr. Tao, who we all love, especially Carleigh. The two of them have a substitute grandfather/granddaughter relationship going on, and it is very cute. She runs out every day to greet him when he comes to pick Bill up for work, and gets very upset if we don't let her go out to see him.
The other picture is of the construction site next to us, where they are adding a third story to a house. I thought the cart full of bricks being hoisted up was very chinese. It seems that "carts" are everywhere here, mostly attached to bikes piled with 3 tons of what looks like garbage to us. This particular cart was "retrofitted" with the handles that are being used to hoist it, this morning. The soddering "station" was right by my back gate.
The steamed bun mystery occurred during dinner. I had bought some frozen "steamed buns"
at the store, even though I could not read the labels. The first package turned out to be pork and quite good. The second package was opened tonight and after we heated them and took a bite, I asked the ayi what was inside. She told me (in chinese) and I didn't recognize the word so I pulled out the e-z chinese book, and went through every vegetable and meat that I could find (including the gross stuff) to no avail. Hmmmm......mental note...don't buy the pink package again! Our chinese lessons start on Monday.
That's it for now.....don't be afraid to get dirty cleaning out those tombs!
Beth

No comments:
Post a Comment