Today, Carleigh was invited to her first birthday party in China. Although it was similar to a party in the US, it had it's Chinese variations. There was snack food, balloons, cake, cards and gifts, but there was also a shoeless magician (no one wears shoes into a house in China), a barefoot Chinese clown (again, no shoes in the house), sugar art (edible), and Chinese calligraphy name paintings (framed for an additional $4 dollars.)
Carleigh had a great time, and I met several of the other children's moms, included her buddy, Alexander's mom. One of the great things about expats, is that they are all very friendly. I never feel out of place or uncomfortable for long, and this party was no exception. After being here for only seven months, we are no longer the "newbies, " we are the veterans. I spent several days last week showing some new friends around, and helping them find the things they need. Even though we are in a huge metropolis, it still feels like small town Berkley at times, everywhere you go, you see someone you know.
Updating the events of yesterday, Ethan is much better now. He still has a few blisters on his hands, but was in good spirits today, and said that they did not hurt anymore.
Earlier today, I stopped by one of the western medical clinics to pick up some gauze and tape for the burns. I only had a few minutes before I had to pick Carleigh up from ballet, but how long could it take, right?! Well, in China the little things can take forever, and the big things can happen very quickly. Exchanging American money here, takes about 20 minutes longer than it should, but you can get clothes tailor made all but overnight. In order to walk out with the gauze I was buying, they made me fill out a patient registration form. After I begrudgingly filled it out, I mentioned (in a worried, hurried mother manner) that I had to pick up my daughter, and could I pay so I could leave. I received an "okay, okay" in response, and then the gentlemen sat down to "hunt and peck" my information into their system. In the meantime, I had to go out and ask Mr. Tao, our driver, to go get Carleigh (God bless Mr. Tao, he will do anything for us!) Finally, after they had all my information, they let me pay and leave. Good Grief!

No comments:
Post a Comment